Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sharp pointy things

I went to the club today to check out their second gun show. They had more attendees than the first one, but nothing worth bringing home. They had one poor mangled Krag that I should have bought and buried to put the poor thing out of it's misery. The guy had hacked the barrel back quite excessively and had a jammed it into a small stock that had been hacked up poorly to accommodate what was left of the Krag. They only charged a dollar at the door, so that wasn't too bad. Bumped into the guy I bought my Garrand off of. He reminded me of the gun show at the armory next month. He usually has a nice layout there. I keep drooling over an Enfield he has that has never been shot. Several years back, they sold off an inventory of Enfields that had never seen service at all. They are referred to as mummified Enfields. They shipped in the cosmoline they were dipped in at the armory and wrapped in cloth. It comes with matching accouterments including matching bayonet. I love the look of the Enfields, and this thing is mint. If he brings it this time around, I may have to buy myself a present. Don't think I can bring myself to firing it seeing how it has made it half a century without anyone doing so, but I wouldn't mind having it around to polish and enjoy just for the sake of preserving a piece of history.

I went to Whitaker Gun store in Owensboro Kentucky after the show at the club. They advertised a couple Krags for around $500 each. One carbine and a rifle. After looking through their massive inventory, I could not find the Krags and had to do what no guy likes to do, ask the clerk for help. Yes, that is almost as bad as having to stop along the road and ask directions. While the clerk looked around, I went back and grabbed a Winchester 1917 that I found that was in pretty decent shape. It has the original barrel and stock and came with a bayonet with sheath (but no frog). Bayonet is marked Remington, but the rest of the rifle is all correct. Now my Remington 1917 won't be so lonely in the safe. The clerk made it back and wasn't having any luck when the store owner hollered over that he had sold the rifle yesterday, and the carbine had been put on layaway by someone earlier that day. I proceeded with the paper work for the 1917 and had a few people checking it out wondering if there were more of them on the rack. Probably could have sold it to one who was quite interested in it while I was waiting on papers to clear. I still want a P1914 Enfield to round out the Enfield collection, but have been unable to find one yet. The friends of the NRA show had a beautiful restored one in their raffle, but I did not win. I would have been happy to purchase it if they would have allowed. Beautiful gun.


Tomorrow, I will put the motor accessories back on and try to get the dash put back together. I still need to get my welding tank to finish up on welding. They don't make it easy with the hours they are open. Sure do wish one of them had the smarts to be open on Saturday. Would like to start the motor and hear it run. Might head to the range tomorrow for a while too. It has been great weather out there. Not too hot, not humid, perfect weather.

1 comment:

  1. My High-Master shooting buddy has one of those mummified Enfields. My understanding is they come straight from being re-arsenal'd and are freshened-up to top-spec. He uses it to win the Club "WWII Bolt Action" match.
    Grandpa's deer-rifle is a scoped and sported 1917 Remington he built during the 40's - my brother got it after he passed.

    ReplyDelete