Thursday, January 3, 2019

Nearing the end of vacation

Two weeks off is nice, but it is still hard to go back to work. Three days left. Got some stuff knocked out, but no where near what I hoped. I fought most of the day today running surround wiring for the entertainment system. Works much better than the wireless system did. Dropped ceiling in the basement helped somewhat, but still had to snake the wires through the ductwork and plumbing. I also finally made progress on finding the wiring for the light switches in the living room. When they rewired the house years ago, the switches were abandoned in the living room. Fortunately, I was able to find a junction box that came from the switches when I removed the drop ceiling. I temporarily hooked into it and installed an outlet in the living room so I can operate the torch lighting through the switches for now. Next step is cutting an access to easily access the attic. Somehow, over the course of the eighty years the house has existed, the only access I have found is in a closet and is so small, you would have to send a small child up there as an adult wouldn't fit. Hopefully, I can cut the new access and get a ceiling fan installed in the living room.

As far as the vehicles, I had the tinted windows stripped and retinted on the mustang, and it looks perfect. Went with a lighter shade of tint and had the strip removed from the windshield. It is like a new car now. Have the radio ordered. It will be here next week. Touchscreen with Bluetooth. Be able to hook up my I-pod again. Hook up a back up camera as well as they are only about twelve dollars.

No garage and constant rain and drizzle most of the week, I finally caved and took the truck in to have the wheel hub checked. I was right, it was shot. The other side wasn't making noise, but was also badly worn, so I had them do them both. It kills me to have someone do something I am capable of doing, but it had to get done. Cost wasn't as bad as I thought, but still cost me more than I care for in labor. Still, it is out of the way now and I will have two operable vehicles now. Picked up the mustang today. The truck got done at their quitting time and there was nobody to come pick me up to get it, so I will pick it up in the morning. They are next to the barbershop, so I can get a hair cut on the trip.

Ordered some gutter guards and they came in, so for more fun and excitement, I will be installing gutter guards if the rain subsides long enough. I am thankful it is not snow. I love the mature trees, but in the fall, I pay dearly for it. The oak tree held leaves until we got a freezing rain and snow that knocked them down, and into the cleaned out gutters. Clean them one more time and try the new gutter guards and see how they do. Back yard sucks as it is two stories in the back and the ground isn't level on the drain end. With my knees, I am not climbing over the roof and trying to kneel to lean over and clean them out and install. Suppose to be in the 50s for the weekend, so should be fairly pleasant weather for it, if the rain stays away long enough.

Hope to drop by a garage builder tomorrow as well and see if I can get some decent estimates on the new garage I want to build. I have some pictures and sizes I want them to quote. I would still like to build a steel garage. They make openers for the roll up doors and it would be easier for a lift not having the rafters to contend with. Want to see if the front or back yard would be better. Both have their pros and cons. The modern steel garages look great. Nothing like the steel sheds they use to look like.

Really wish I had gotten more done over the time off. Under the weather part of the time. At least I made it back home for the holidays before getting sick. Not too bad, just really tired and sick to my stomach for a few days. Slept way more than what I wanted to, but I feel a lot better now and am getting things squared away. Not sure what that was all about, but it sure took a bite out of my vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment