Sunday, January 3, 2021

End of vacation

 Back to work tomorrow. I did finish the wiring on the basement lighting and have all the ceiling done. Found a clear path for the sconce lighting for the stairway down to the basement, but the back has a board where I need to install an electrical box. Have to make yet another trip to the store. They make a shallow surface mount electric box that I can run the electric through the board and safely connect the light fixture. Next vacation, I am hoping on redoing the downstairs bathroom ceiling as well as a small space kitchen area ceiling. Tiny compared with the area I did. 

I can't figure out where the little SOB's are coming in at, but while demoing the old ceiling, I inspected the finished ripout. While tearing old ceiling out, I got seventy years worth of mouse droppings raining down. I stood to the side and tried to catch most debris in box under the area. Well, I haven't seen one in a year, but, I will be damned if I didn't see one freaking mouse scurrying the perimeter of the ceiling heading to a neighboring room. Too cramped an area to do much. I tried to get the vacuum cleaner that was next to me and suck him up in it, but he was quicker than me. I know you can't mouse proof anything, but, I did my best. I sealed up the entire perimeter. Bigger openings I boarded up, and foamed all cracks. Probably still get some sneaking through, but it isn't wide open. When I redo the other ceilings, I will do the same. 

Had some issues when I first moved in, upstairs, but I installed electrical devices that are suppose to drive them out. It worked. I don't see one very often upstairs, and when I do, it is dead under the sink where I leave baited traps. I would call an exterminator, but my neighbor did for his. They charge about the equivalent of $25 a month to maintain a service, and he still catches one once in a while. I am going to try and install some electrical devices down there, may even put one in each ceiling grid. It emits a noise they don't like, but it doesn't bother dogs. 

Now that I have free access to the wiring, I can finally access the light switch to the last bedroom needing a ceiling light. Now I can send the electric up to the attic and finish that up. The new ceiling was a big step forward. 

Not looking forward to going back to work, and wearing a freaking mask for eight to ten hours a day. It has been nice not having to deal with the Covid nonsense. I treasure my off time. I now look forward to spring. Hopefully the idiots in charge will stop the mask nonsense and let things return to normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment