Thursday, February 27, 2014

Interesting

http://www.twcc.com/entertainment/articles/2014/02/spike-lee-criticizes-nyc-gentrification

Growing up in the 70's, I witnessed many neighborhoods getting "busted". That is, a house or two would be bought and given to a "low income family" which would pretty much drive people out of the neighborhood as best they could. As more moved out, property values dropped and more lower income would move in. It was called block busting. Drive white people out of the neighborhoods which they had lived for generations. Now, white people are villains for moving into a neighborhood. Very interesting watching the pendulum swing both ways.

My dad worked in the mills when I was growing up. I remember him telling me of a coworker who lived in Miller. Miller was, back in the 60's and 70's, a upper end neighborhood in part of Gary. The coworker tried hard to keep his house. It had devalued so badly when the area was "busted" that he owed more than he could ever get out of it, and he loved the area. He finally made up his mind to move when he was getting shot at trying to leave his driveway to go to work. Whites didn't just leave, they were literally driven out and usually lost most of what they had in the process. At least in Spike's neighborhood, if the people go to sell, they will be walking away with a fortune as the property values have skyrocketed. Excuse me if I don't shed a tear. I know, I am a racist, shame on me......

No comments:

Post a Comment