Thursday, August 18, 2011

After work shoot

One of the guys from work wanted to check out my club so he could sight in his new varmint rifle. Gave me a good excuse to break out the guns and go have some fun.  Took the Garrand out. I love the new scope and mount. It is really a pleasure to shoot now, even moreso than before the scope. I got the 03A4 sighted in again. After sealing the threads on the scope mounting hardware , she is sighted in and holding well. I am going to have to strip it down and reblue it though. NEVER EVER buy a Gibbs rifle of any type. They do a shameful job finishing their guns. The "parkerizing" as they call it, must come from a spray can as the reciever peeled in one spot. The bolt is going to get stripped this weekend as the so called parkerizing is shredding and gumming up the action. I have never seen a finish done so poorly by a  company that manufactures and restores guns. I have steered many away that were looking at them merely by letting them check out the finish on mine. It will be fine after she gets reblued, but you shouldn't have to reblue a gun that was redone a year ago.

 I also took out the savage .17HMR for a little fun. My buddy from work liked it. It's the first  .17 he has shot.  He is heading out squirrel hunting next week and needed to sight in his rifles.  Was going to take him out to cowboy town for some fun, but I didn't realize I used up all my .38 lead ammo while my son was down visiting last month. Have to reload some more. He really liked the club. Told him to bring his wife out next time and see if she likes it. They have a lot to offer for very little money. Nice getting out for a while. It has been so hot and muggy out, I haven't been getting out as much as I like.

One more week until the Frog Follies are back in town. Huge car show, and my favorite car show. Indy 1500 gun show is going on as well. A lot of things packed into a weekend. Then another week after that and it is vacation. If the weather isn't insanely hot and humid, I hope to get my sheetmetal welded in while on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment